Tuesday, September 23, 2014

We remember her

For the last five Rosh Hashanahs/Hashanot and Yom Kippurs/Yom Kippurim, my mom read her parts -the same parts-at our Secular Jewish Kehillah Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur programs She read with love, feeling and gorgeous diction. She had to walk very slowly on her walker to get to the microphone, which was then lowered so that it could reach her mouth and adjusted so that she didn't have to hold it.

The section of our program she read is entitled Remembrance. I will read it in her memory on September 25, our first Secular Kehillah Rosh Hashanah without her. On October 4th, I will read the part she read on Yom Kippur.

As I walk to the podium, part of me will walk with her by my side, stooping down so that I can hold her if necessary. The same words that I read more lackadaisically will echo her love and warmth and precision.

And I will say in my heart as well as with my throat, "We remember her now."

No comments:

Post a Comment